Saturday, November 1, 2008

Finally bought a keyboard.........

I took piano lessons for a while as a kid. I was not very successful, perhaps due to lack of motivation since the stars I watched on TV played the guitar. So I am not a keyboard player by any means, but I do know where the notes are and can figure out chords and such.

I have been mulling over getting a keyboard so I could add some new sounds to my recordings, but I was unwilling to commit a lot of funds. I almost bought one in a pawn shop on two different occasions, but both times I backed away thinking that a new one with a guarantee and no beer stains was not much more expensive.

So on Thursday, I went to the Guitar Center where they had a Yamaha on sale for $80, plus I had a 10% off coupon. The keyboard was compact and offered lots of tones and some percussion. I bought the keyboard and by the next day was adding tracks to the CD. It has some good quality sounds including an excellent piano. The keyboard has one amazing feature that is akin to using a capo on a guitar. If you want to play in a key with too many sharps and flats, you can simply adjust the keyboard pitch up or down a half step at a time and play in a more amenable key. I can play in C a lot better than E!

Today was garage sale day at our condo complex. What a waste of a beautiful morning. We were rewarded with a little more space and a few (very) extra dollars, but it was not worth the aggravation of people beating up on our prices which were already about a tenth of what a similar item would cost in a store. We did get to chat with the neighbors a bit.

Cheers!

No comments: