Monday, December 22, 2008

Cadillac Records

I've been resting a sore back which I hurt either playing tennis or moving an amplifier last week. But last night I hobbled to the movies to see Cadillac Records.

It was worth the effort, especially for someone who like blues music and appreciates learning about the history. I don't think the story was 100% historically accurate, but it makes for good entertainment and is probably close enough for most people.

Chess in Chicago

Without giving away any spoilers, the story is about Muddy Waters leaving the cotton fields and traveling to Chicago to sing and record the blues with Chess Records. He runs into other blues musicians throughout the story including Little Walter, Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, Hubert Sumlin, Chuck Berry, and Etta James. Leonard Chess is also central to the story.

There is some great music in the film. Lots of drama too.......including the birth of rock 'n roll. Convincing acting too. Definitely worth seeing if you are interested in the history of Chicago blues. When I got home I dug through my old 45s (which I never throw away) and found one of Muddy's records on the Chess label -I got A Rich Man's Woman backed by My Dog Can't Bark - pretty cool!

No comments: